Monday, June 10, 2013

Why be natural?



"So, why have natural hair if you're just going to straighten it?"
 Because, I want to. 

This should be a sufficient answer for people that want to know why I don't part with the flat iron. It's 2013, I live in the United States, I make my own money and I can do what I want. Point blank.  


Am I denying my heritage and ancestry but taming my kinks and coils? 

Am I attempting to conform to the majority's ideals of physical beauty? 
Am I filled with with self-hatred? 
NO! I'm really just kind of lazy... 

It's so easy to go to the salon, get it blown out, and keep it moving. Every so often, I catch a glimpse of my kinks and coils right before my stylist blasts me with her magical blow dryer. At those moments, I am curious to try all the different curly styles and twist outs and bantu knots that I see on YouTube. But, alas, that's so much effort!

2 comments:

  1. lol Girl natural hair is effortless. All that mess them girls be doing on YouTube.... ain't nobody got time for dat. I wash my hair and go. Wake up fluff my fro and go. I respect you rocking it straight though. I am too scared to get it straightened again. Last time my curls didn't come back in the front. I was devastated. I love my fro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Dani with the effortlessness of being natural. But then again, when my hair is straight, it's just as effortless! I'm on the fence, but since I work out so much, it's just easier to wear it curly. I know what you're thinking!! "Ash, your hair isn't like mine though". Whatever...still...a struggle with the natural hair. Sometimes these curls don't do all that I want them to do, other days they make me so proud! Ah well...carry on my reluctant natural sistah!

    ReplyDelete